A philanthropist, an administrator, renowned educationist and retired Public Servant; Dr Abdul Ganiyu Gbolagade Salami has – in every sphere of life – left no stone unturned in his dogged pursuit to raising the banner of his country – Nigeria – and his home town – Kishi – in particular.
Concerned with the general deterioration of the standard of education and the need to improve same, A.G. Salami (fondly called) had over the last four decades been involved in various activities and initiatives to assist his country Nigeria – generally and his home town – Kishi – in particular.
His quests for first ever University in Kishi started a decade ago. Whereas, the current initiative which began five years now under a different name underwent various challenges and has now culminated into the prestigious Novelty Polytechnic on a sole private proprietorship to the Glory of God.
With JAMB recording over 2 million candidates during it’s annual entrance examinations exercise and less than 700,000 absorbable by the various tertiary institutions in the country, the nation has the big challenge
of what to do with the large number of young potential idle men and women in the society, hence the setting up of private Polytechnics among others is to ameliorate some of the potential social problems.
The establishment of Novelty polytechnic is therefore to play a vital role in ameliorating the sorry state of affairs and open up opportunities for many young Nigerians seeking higher education
It is expected that, our community and indeed Nigerians would take advantage of the establishment of the institution to ensure that the purpose for which so much resources have been expended would be achieved. The unquantifiable resources, dedication and hard work of a number of people which resulted in the gains so far made cannot be overemphasized and must be mentioned. Among them is the Novelty Dream Team led by Surv. Abdul Jelil Tijani. I particularly appreciate the supports of our friends from the Offa Lens Polytechnic.
Our friends and compatriots, Pioneer Ag. Rector, Prof. YK Sanusi, Prof. Abdul Waheed Saliu, Alhaji Sikiru Masoroju and Alhaji Taiye Hassan Lawahb deserve special recognition. And of course, the support of my wife Jady Ameena and some of my immediate family members not only kept the project alive but greatly enhanced this fruition. Above all, the Mercy and Grace of Allah and His Decree are the reasons for our success.
Finally, we intend to follow up our application with the National Universities Commission (NUC) for the approval of the GBOLAGAS UNIVERSITY to complete the Novelty Projects circle.
Born On July 29, 1959 in Kaiama near Kishi to Alhaji Simbiat Aduke Alate (alias Mama Oloriire) and Late Alhaji (prince) Abdullahi Salami Alabi ADEWUYI (a.k.a Kurungu)
Dr. GBOLAGADE SALAMI acquired his elementary and secondary education in Ghana and Nigeria before proceeding to the premier University of Ibadan and the University of Lagos in 1979 and 1987 for his First and Second Degrees respectively.
He bagged a Doctoral of philosophy (Honoraries Causa) awarded by The Houdengbe North America University, Contonou.
Upon completion of his National Youth service crops ( NYSC) program in Gombe State between 1979 – 1980, he was appointed an Administrative Officer in the Public Service of the Federal Government of Nigeria between 1980 – 2009 where he was eventually designated as Ag. Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Health in 2008
He also worked as a classroom teacher, instructor, administrator and procurement Executive in thirteen (13) Ministries and parastatals of different arms of Government where he served as Director for seventeen years in the following ministries:
- Office of the secretary to the Federation
- Ministry of information (Voice of Nigeria)
- Federal ministry of justice
- Office of Head of Civil Service of Federation
- National Planning Commission
- Federal Ministry of Communication
- Federal Ministry of Interior
- Federal Ministry of Women Affairs & Social Development
- Federal Ministry of Health
He also attended numerous courses, seminars and workshop in various cities of seven (7) continents of the world, including United Nations sponsored to Europe, North and South America, Asia, Africa, Island countries of Australia, New Zealand, papau New Guinea and the American Samoa in the ocean. Gbolagade Salami is also a member of several National and International professional organizations and clubs.
- He is a pioneer and co-founder of YOUMBAS INTERNATIONAL at the state and local government levels establishment in the 1970s.
- While serving in the Federal Ministry of Education in the early 1980s, Dr. GAS founded “Adult Return to School Programs” kishi whereby many of our people were encouraged to better their educational opportunities and giving admission to Unity schools. Federal Government collages, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education (NCEs).
- Networking for mass employment for his people at Federal and State levels including scholarship awards for the less privileged ones.
Some of Federal presence he brought to his people incled:
- Rural electrification and expansion of Electrical power to most part of Kishi as far back as the1980s.
- Extension of 5 kilometer electricity power to the Kishi Muslim Ummah Hospital in 2007
- Desalting and reviving of the Kishi earth dam through the Ministry of Water Resource in the sum of N120m.
- Construction of the present modern post office while in Ministry Communication.
- Communications satellite- Rural Telephony and M-Tel project and eventually some of the current commercial mobile telephone project in Kishi.
- Tarring of the Iba’s palace grounds, draining and the fences to its present status while in the Ministry of communication.
- Major contribution in the building of infrastructure and most building including the Jum’ah Mosque in the current KISHI Muslim Ummah hospital and initiator of its approval by the federal Government to attain its status of affiliation to the University of Ilorin Teaching hospital as a federal institution.
- Construction of School of Basic Midwifery Kishi at a cost of about N120m.
- Construction of official resident for the Chief Imam of Kishi.
- Promoted and raised Kishi community profile by getting three of our citizens to be awarded the prestigious National Honors within two year while serving within the presidency.